Billy Buttons's Reviews > The Sheriff's Catch

The Sheriff's Catch by James Vella-Bardon

Read 2 times

This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: The Sheriff's Catch

Writing Style: 9/10
Content: 10/10
Cover: 9/10
Of the 18 readers:
18 would read another book by this author.
16 thought the cover was good or excellent.
18 felt it was easy to follow.
18 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
13 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘plotting a story’.
5 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘developing the characters’.
18 felt the pacing was good or excellent.
18 thought the author understood the readership and what they wanted.

Readers’ Comments
‘I liked all the Spanish Armada chapters. The novel then had a twist as the slave finds land and must escape a nasty sheriff. Reminded me a little of Clive Cussler’s books: lots of adventure with a hefty historical setting. The author did a good job of thoroughly entertaining me.’ Female reader, aged 46
‘This is a very gritty look at life in the 16th century. If you don’t like ‘gritty’ this is not for you. I, however, loved it. The central character is strong, hot-headed and determined to get revenge for the death of his family. The author’s style of writing is very fast-paced but with a good balance of setting description to help the reader to become immersed in the historical period.’ Publisher, aged 54
‘If you enjoy an exciting adventure, this is for you. The pacing keeps the book rollercoasting until the end. Exciting opening, a little grim here and there – but grim is okay! The writing style is perfect for an historical novel. I particularly enjoyed the ship setting. The author, I think, did his research well. The 1500s was a long time ago!’ Female reader, aged 56
‘The historical setting is well-described but not overly which I liked. The pacing is superb; non-stop all the way until the end.’ Male reader, aged 39

To Sum It Up:
‘A feverishly-paced historical adventure populated with memorable characters. A FINALIST and highly recommended.’ The Wishing Shelf Book Awards

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sheriff's Catch.

Finished Reading