Angela M's Reviews > The Nickel Boys

The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

I don’t think there is anything original that I can say that hasn’t already been said about this book. I can only add my 5 well deserved stars and repeat what others have said. It’s powerful, painful and such an important book to read. This is a fictional account based on a horrific place, a real place, a reform school in Florida in the 1960’s, where young boys, in particular young black boys were abused physically, sexually, emotionally and in some cases murdered. It’s gut wrenching and heartbreaking, all the more reason to read this book. All of us need to be reminded of this awful history and to remember the boys who suffered here. Kudos to Whitehead for helping us do that . A must read for every American.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nickel Boys.

July 25, 2019 – Shelved
July 25, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 26, 2019 – Started Reading
October 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

Chris I read this with a heavy heart. The ending was something else.

Babydimps (Suzy) Excellent review Angela!

Angela M Chris, I thought so too !

Angela M Suzy , thanks so much .

Marialyce Quite the story and a wonderful review as well.

Angela M Thanks, Marialyce. Not much more I could add to the terrific reviews like yours .

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Great review Angela, my anxiety acted up during this and I will def try again😊

Angela M Karen, thanks. I get that . It was a difficult one to read .

message 9: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Excellent review. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Angela.

Angela M Thanks, Jennifer. Nothing original . There are so many fantastic reviews.

Diane S ☔ Heart wrenching for sure.

Angela M Diane , it was heartbreaking, a difficult one to read but important as you thought as well.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie Excellent review, Angela!!💖

message 14: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Wonderful review, Angela!

Angela M Thanks very much , Julie and Sharon!

Bianca Excellent review, Angela.

message 17: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Wonderful review Angela!

Carmel Hanes I agree it is an important read and an essential reminder of where we've been and how far we still need to go, unfortunately.

Angela M Thanks, Bianca, Wendy and Carmel . I agree ,Carmel - things still need to change .

Brandice Wonderful review, Angela! I completely agree - A tough but powerful and important and read.

Angela M Thanks so much, Brandice!

message 22: by Susanne (new) - added it

Susanne  Strong Fantastic review Angela!

Angela M Thanks, Susanne!

message 24: by JanB (new) - added it

JanB Happy to see your 5 stars Angela. I agree that it’s a must read!

Angela M Thanks, Jan !

PattyMacDotComma Glad you liked this one, Angela - not the circumstances, but the writing of it. Sadly, there are still so many kids at risk. :(

message 27: by Cheri (new) - added it

Cheri Excellent and compelling review, Angela! I've heard about the story behind this, but it sounded so awful, I wasn't sure how easy it would be to read. Happy to see your five stars for this. Adding!

Angela M Patty, thanks. Definitely well written and important.

Cheri , thanks. It is awful and hard to read because of the horrible treatment but an eye opener and important for us to remember that this wasn’t in the too distant past . I was turned down for an Arc and the wait at my library was pretty long so I bought it on kindle and it was worth it.

message 29: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Great review, Angela. Must read this.

message 30: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Wonderful review, Angela. I had it out but didn't get to it. Have it on hold again!

Angela M Thanks, Jen . I imagine there’s a wait , but worth it .