Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)'s Reviews > Pretty Amy

Pretty Amy by Lisa Burstein

Mar 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-read-and-reviewed

*I was given the opportunity to review this through Netgalley. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for them.

Amy is a rebellious 17 year old hanging out with the wrong crowd. After being ditched by their dates on the night of their senior prom, Amy along with her friends Lila and Cassie get caught with a substantial amount of Pot on them. Needless to say the three girls are carted off to Jail and charged with possession as well as a variety of other charges. To make matters worse Amy is forbidden from attending any Senior activities or graduation and is forced by her mother to get a job to pay for her own lawyer.

While at first I cheered her mother on, after awhile I was just flat at annoyed and angry. I get it your daughter messed up big time, but you can at least act like you give a damn about her. To make matters worse her father just sits idly by while his wife berates his daughter over and over. Grow a pair of balls man and tell your wife to stop.

One of the things that was so frustrating was Amy's refusal to help herself. Her "friends" could not even be bothered to call her, yet she remains steadfastly loyal. Amy isn't just angst ridden, she is downright pathetic. Now maybe I am to far removed from being a teenager to get this attitude she has but I kept wanting someone, anyone, to tell Amy to get over it.

Now that I have said all that, your probably thinking I hated the book. Quite the opposite actually, by the time all was said and done it was an enjoyable read. Amy's journey was one of frustration yes but in the end that was the point. As a reader you were supposed to be annoyed and angry at Amy. You were going on her journey just as much as she was. Lisa Burstein deserves so much praise for perfectly capturing a teenager at the height of rebellion, right before waking up to the reality that mom and dad are right, your friends really are a bad influence and playing it safe is the better option over outright recklessness.

I also really enjoyed all the funny one liners in this book. My personal favorites being "Hell Hath no fury like Lactose." and "Nothing is definite until the fat lady sings, and my wife aint much of a singer." Overall If you like Young Adult Contemporary you should pick this up. Was it worth the read? Yes. Would I read it again? Sadly,Probably not. I am rating this book 3★★★. Enjoyable, but not really memorable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Amy.

March 8, 2012 – Shelved
March 21, 2012 – Started Reading
March 21, 2012 –
0.0% "Not sure what page but I'm 63% done and liking it so far."
March 21, 2012 – Finished Reading

Heather Hi there,

I apologize if you've already reviewed this title on Amazon, but if you haven't, can you please go on there and post your review on there as well?

Thanks so much for all that you do!

~ Heather Riccio, Senior Publicist

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) Heather wrote: "Hi there,

Huh, I thought I had posted my review. It is up now though :)

Heather Great! Thanks!