Nina's Reviews > I Am Me: Teen Artists and Writers Speak Out on Being Yourself

I Am Me by Tom Worthen

bookshelves: books-in-english, non-fiction, self-help, young-adult, poetry, art, favorites, netgalley

We are the many, the every, the perfect.
We are breaking down slowly
Inside,

excerpt: Perfect Girls by Sara Bradley-Bussell, Grade 12

My biggest takeaway from reading this book is how wrong it is to tell young people, "Be yourself."

Ironic, I know. But being at an age where they are still figuring themselves out, hearing this overused cue can be pretty baffling (even at my age, I still get baffled by this), and the sad truth is that we tend to overlook this rather simple fact.

Because how can they be themselves if they don't even yet know who that is?

Instead tell them, "Find yourself." And let everything you do and say from that point be a constant reassurance that they are and will be loved and accepted for whoever they turn out to be. Guide them, but let them find their own paths. Stand by them, but also trust them enough to make their own choices, develop their own voices, find confidence in their differences, and grow into their truest selves.

Because if there is anything that "I Am Me" is going to prove to you, it's that teenagers are so much stronger and wiser than we often give them credit for.

And they say it all here, in powerful and empowering verses paired with artwork that show heartbreaking truths behind their colors, beauty behind their brokenness. This is them, communicating in their unfiltered voices their sentiments, their struggles, their heartaches, their confusions, their realizations, their simple, yet bravest truths.

Reading this has reminded me, and thus has also given me a better understanding of how it's like being young in a world that is still being largely defined by the suffocating molds of old traditions and superficial expectations.

You are not alone.
It is absolutely okay to be different.
This book has definitely achieved its goal. :)

I received a digital review copy of this book from NetGalley.

It is also available to read online on the I Am Me official page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Me.

July 5, 2019 – Started Reading