Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳'s Reviews > What a Difference a Duke Makes

What a Difference a Duke Makes by Lenora Bell

⭐️⭐️2 STARS ⭐️⭐️
A friend no sooner brought this book to my attention that I was already one-clicking. The reason?
A single dad—A Duke at that!— falls for the —Mary Poppins inspired— nanny?
CATNIP ALERT!!!

Overall a cute story peppered with light banter and a couple engaging plot lines but I felt disappointed by the lack of romance built up between the characters. It was more lust at first sight than anything else and I prefer my HR with a good slow burn or at least some kind of teasing. A chase even.

I also like my Dukes roguish and unapologetically rakish but Edgar read more like the pervert he disliked being compared to in this story. His salacious thoughts upon meeting his kids' governess for the first time left me dubious. I liked him as a father though, the way he opened up to his kids was touching.
Mariwith an i, rhymes with starry— was the cookie cutter strong witted HR heroine. The author did good at characterizing her because I could almost hear and picture Julie Andrews's "Tut, tut / Tsk, Tsk" admonishing the children. She was cute and lovable, and actually surprised me by going after the Duke. I didn't not expect that and I can't say if I liked it or not.

In the end I enjoyed Mari and the kids, Edgar and the kids but didn't care much about Mari and Edgar together, which is a shame when picking up a historical romance.

That was my first book by Lenora Bell and although it didn't quite hit the mark for me I'll be reading more from this author, I'm curious about a couple other titles offering tropes I can't seem to say no to.
(Bell was recommended to me as an alternative to Tessa Dare, in my opinion I understand where the comparison stems from but we're far from the banter, feels and romance Dare offers.)