Betty Hutchinson's Reviews > The Last Train to London

The Last Train to London by Meg Waite Clayton

bookshelves: giveaways, owned-and-read
Recommended to Betty by: GoodReads

Wow, what a book! This book is one that I won in a giveaway and I am thankful for being blessed to own it.
The story is based on true events surrounding the Kindertransport which brought thousands of children, mostly Jewish, out of Europe when Germany began taking over just before WWII began. The story is mainly set in Vienna, centering around two families, the Neumans and Pergers, and a woman, Truus Wijsmuller-Meijer and her husband Joop who lived in Amsterdam. The book is written from the perspective of these individuals.
The author's ability to be so descriptive and detailed allows the reader to close their eyes and be transported to Vienna, to see the sights, feel the emotions, picture the characters, smell the odors and aromas, hear the violence and feel the love and despair. I was immersed in this story.
The book is filled with memorable characters that the readers will love and hate, feel sorry for and connect with. The story brings out just a bit of the early suffering that the Jewish people endured at the beginning of Hitler's reign.
I would recommend this book to everyone who is interested in the history of pre-World War II. This is my first encounter with reading Meg Waite Clayton, but I am intrigued to read more of her books. It is a book that deserves accolades much greater than I can express. Bravo on a work that is so fantastic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Train to London.

May 29, 2019 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
May 29, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
July 25, 2019 – Shelved
July 25, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 30, 2019 – Started Reading
August 13, 2019 – Shelved as: giveaways
August 13, 2019 – Shelved as: owned-and-read
August 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg Clayton Betty, thank you for reading, and for this stunning review!

message 2: by Betty (new) - added it

Betty Hutchinson Meg, when possible I will share the review in other platforms. I truly enjoyed the book and look forward to more!

message 3: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg Clayton Thank you! Word of mouth is so important to the success of a book. The head of marketing at Ballantine once told me it was the only thing they knew sold books: real readers sharing their love for books.