Skorpius's Reviews > Dirty Eden

Dirty Eden by J.A. Redmerski

Mar 08, 2012

Read in March, 2012

If Neil Gaiman were a woman...

Dirty Eden is a complete breath of fresh air on a virtual shelf overcrowded with formulaic dreck that seems to have taken over the industry. This is intelligent contemporary fantasy done right, and exceptionally well.

In our protagonist Norman Reeves, we have a somewhat affable fellow who hates his job and trends toward self-deprecation. But he soon finds himself staring into an alley where his fate changes with the help of the Devil, portrayed throughout as not so bad of a guy.....except for when he is. And like the Devil, the denizens of Creation, which isn't quite Heaven, and isn't quite Hell, have many sides.

Never is a character wasted, as even the most seemingly miniscule encounter is imbued with rich characters and dialogue. Indeed, Redmerski is particularly strong with writing dialogue, and the conversations between all of the characters are realistic and flow effortlessly. Each character is well defined and their quirks and mannerisms play out exceedingly well. You can't help but fall in love with and care about these characters and you will not soon forget them, right down to the tiniest mouse or foul-mouthed bluejay.

Ultimately, what Redmerski has done is to create a complete and complex world from scratch, filled with a multitude of characters who have only previously occupied our own mythologies (the signs of the Zodiac are not who you think they are) and religious creation stories. She has somehow taken one of the biggest stories of all (The Garden of Eden) and wrapped everything around it and made it all her own.

I highly recommend this book. Dirty Eden by J.A. Redmerski
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty Eden.