Chris Huff's Reviews > The Grasshopper Myth: Big Churches, Small Churches and the Small Thinking that Divides Us

The Grasshopper Myth by Karl Vaters

It's a good reminder that we need churches of all sizes, and that "small" churches contribute greatly to the kingdom of God.

I think for most of his book, though, Karl Vaters is still trying to convince himself of this idea. He often writes that he's not settling by being a small church pastor, but that he's realized this is what God has equipped him to be. But then he also says things to make me doubt he really means this. He writes, "Believe me, I wouldn't turn down a larger building if we had a good chance at getting one." But he also writes about how he DID turn down a larger building 5 miles away (granted, it would have meant that the church would have had to move out of their neighborhood). He also writes, "I'll gladly accept any numerical growth that comes our way, and I'll do whatever adaptations are needed to allow and promote such growth."

But I think I'm being too critical. I tend to be that way when I read. Karl, if you're reading this, I apologize.

Like the author, I also wish there were more conferences and books aimed at equipping small church pastors to do ministry well in their context. Most of the ones that exist seem to say, "Think like a big church." This isn't helpful.

But this book is. It gives practical beginning steps to stop thinking like a big church, and start utilizing the unique gifts and abilities of small churches. I do appreciate this book, and hope it encourages small church pastors everywhere to simply be thankful for where God has placed them, and seek to serve God there faithfully.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grasshopper Myth.

Started Reading