Nick's Reviews > Bride and Groom

Bride and Groom by Alisa Ganieva

M 50x66

liked it

I had such high hopes. A Russian writer who can skewer Moscow hipsterdom (including stereotypes about Islam) and then turn the same incisive wit on Dagestani courtship traditions and political corruption is a force to be reckoned with. And much of the book is funny and fierce, coming from the alternating perspectives of Patya (female) and Marat (male), smart young Dagestanis who have spent time in Moscow, and who are too modern for Central Asian customs yet too sensible to be lured into the urban Russian malaise. In the early going, my principal concern was that the romance was removing obstacles with entirely too much ease and speed. And then the final veers wildly toward a more serious, disturbing direction--resolved at the end by an author's note that links the whole entire thing, including a character who spends most of the novel as what appears to be a caricature of a Central Asian strongman, to Sufism. I am a sucker for literature from offbeat places, but I like coherent vision. Although they do seem like efforts aimed at contrary purposes, I don't doubt that someone someday will successfully weld a deep spiritual parable onto the marriage plot. Not here, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bride and Groom.

Finished Reading