Dawn Jayne's Reviews > Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins by Michelle Anderson Picarella

Mar 08, 2012

bookshelves: anthology

This has got to be one of the best anthologies I've ever read. The concept was great: 7 authors, 7 sins. From the very first page I was impressed by the depth and originality of every story, and it started with a terrific forward that really set the stage and tone for what was to come. I enjoyed every single story, and though they were all centered around a common theme, each were strikingly unique.

Without spoiling the fun for others:

Wrath packed a punch with a modern day tale of a man reaching his breaking point; Greed blew me away with its unique and stylistic use of language in a story that really depicted how Ice can burn; Pride gave me an unexpected twist with its characters and fantasy feel; Lust left me blushing, and in awe of the author's subtle nod to religious lore in the character's names and behavior; Envy was an excellent exploration into the nature of man and I have a new ten dollar word in my language arsenal: Schadenfreude! Gluttony was an wonderfully engaging tale of a monster created and Sloth blew me away with masterfully crafted language and suspense.

I really can't pick a favorite, but I will say that Wrath was a great way to kick off the fun! The central character was surrounded by those falling to other sins- from lust to envy to greed and sloth - and these things all swirled together and created a perfect storm that felt all too real.

I cannot express in a review how ingenious each of these stories were; I highly recommend this anthology and gave 5 stars without blinking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Deadly Sins.