Kristen Burns's Reviews > Three Days Till Dawn

Three Days Till Dawn by R.F. Hurteau

bookshelves: read-2019-books, review-copy, science-fiction, post-apocalyptic, dystopia, elves, cover-love, reviewed

3.5 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

This was a good book with a cool premise about humans and elves living in domes with a dystopian society post-apocalypse.

I think the reason it didn’t fully click with me though was because the book was more focused on plot than characters. It was the characters’ motivation that moved the plot forward, but there were a lot of POVs with related but different things going on so that the reader could get a full understanding of life in the domes, the problems, the history, the secrets, the brewing rebellion, etc. There’s nothing wrong with that, it just didn’t allow for getting to know the individual characters super well. So whether or not that would be an issue depends on your taste. And it is a series, so you might get to know the characters better as it goes on.

One thing I appreciated was that the author didn’t leave the reader hanging with a bunch of mysteries and no answers the way authors often do in the first book of a series.

I also liked the friendship between Ripley and Felix. It’s nice to see strong friendships in books.

Overall, the focus on plot over characters made this book not quite for me, but I did enjoy the story, converging storylines can be fun, and the author clearly has some plans for where this series is headed, what with the way things ended. I think plenty of people will enjoy this.

Recommended For:
Anyone who likes post-apocalyptic societies, elves, and multiple POVs.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Days Till Dawn.

July 24, 2019 – Started Reading