Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > The Hostage Bargain

The Hostage Bargain by Annika Martin

liked it

Note: I read this as part of an anthology- it is not my normal cup of tea.
A fun, breezy read. It doesn't have a huge amount of substance to it- if it were a film it would be an adult video (perhaps made by women). A late-night Cinemax feature, maybe. Still, if that's what you are in the mood for, it's fun. I read a review that described this series as "campy," and I think that hits the nail on the head. It isn't serious. It isn't dark. It isn't going to have you in nail-biting suspense.
I rated this based on what it IS, not what it isn't. I personally prefer a dark romance with suspense elements every day of the week, and this isn't that, but that isn't the book's fault. It's my fault for going to the hardware store to buy milk, as it were.
I liked the writing, and the snappy heroine. I think good differentiation was established between the male characters. You should be able to tell which character is in a conversation even if they aren't named, and the author did that here.
It is a light and breezy read, perfect for the beach.
That said, it isn't my normal kind of read as I generally prefer darker heroes/storylines (kidnapping, arranged marriage, and coercion, oh my!), and a good bit of suspense. As such I don't plan to continue with this series.

Find me at:
Facebook: https://fb.me/amandamariereads
Blog: http://amandamariereads.blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hostage Bargain.

Started Reading