❀ Crystal ✿ - 's Reviews > Making a Play

Making a Play by Abbi Glines

bookshelves: 2019-read

As per usual I have many thoughts when it comes to this series. While I really enjoyed this book probably more than the previous four, the story was so damn rushed I have whiplash. It's hard for me to believe in an insta-love that happens between highschoolers especially in this case when they've known each other a week. A single week, one in which they do not even spend full days together. Ryker is/was a man-whore and when we first see him in the beginning he's about to get it on with one of the known skanky girls at his school. It is also known from the previous book that Ryker is shall we say, judgey. If it was not for him making a fat joke at Tallulah's expense she never would have lost weight and ended up with Nash in the previous book. It's also mentioned that he's made judgey comments about others before and with his hookup status, honestly he was hard to like. Aurora was a fun and interesting character. Aurora is deaf and is finally going to a public school for a change when she moves in with her father and brother. Acclimating is not super hard for her and luckily she is smart and determined. Unfortunately Aurora's dad is a racist asshat and has issue with Aurora dating a black guy, smh. While this topic is important and I am beyond glad Abbi included it in the series-and not just because it takes place in Alabama-it is a controversial issue in the US that while we should be above that, many like her father are not. These parts were wildly upsetting but relevant. Her father is such an ass he actually sends her to another state over this smh. So while this was fraught with teenage angst and drama this book does touch on some heavy topics and I think it made the story that much better. I didn't love it but I didn't dislike it as much as the previous books. I just wish everything wasn't so rushed as it would have made it feel more believable, if the majority of the story didn't take place in a single week. It was sweet story and I enjoyed the romance aspect I just have a hard time believing Aurora and Ryker would actually make it over time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making a Play.

July 24, 2019 – Shelved