Brie's Reviews > Under Currents

Under Currents by Nora Roberts

liked it
Read 2 times

CW: domestic violence; graphic scenes of women and children being abused.

*Insert "It's been 84 years" Titanic meme here*

Oh boy. This book is 100 pages of harrowing, yet gripping stuff, sandwiched between like 10000000000 pages of landscaping. Actually, it's not really sandwiched, because the compelling parts happen at the beginning, and the ending is just a sad trombone of an anticlimactic denouement. But this book is stronger than her most recent hardcover standalones, so at least there's that? That said, the mom character is A Choice, and I still can't tell if she's being punished for not being a perfect victim or if she's the victim of lazy characterization. What's true is that neither narrative nor characters show her an ounce of compassion, and that really bothered me.

Finally, the word "undercurrents" shows about 11 times throughout the book, so make of it what you will, but I, an intellectual and observant reader, was not fooled by the different spelling of the title and quickly noticed what she did there *winks at camera*.

3 very kind stars just because most of the flaws are endearing to me in a "oh, Nora" kind of way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Currents.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading
March 24, 2019 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
March 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Hardcover Edition)
July 24, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Kaetrin (new) - added it

Kaetrin I liked it a lot better than you did but I wonder how much of that was to do with the stellar narration in the audio version?

As to the mother, yeah, I was uncomfortable but I felt it was balanced out somewhat (but only somewhat) by the other depictions of women who've been abused by their intimate partners. At the end of the book I thought there had been some change in her (the mother) as well but it wasn't well explored really and she didn't get to be much more than a foil/plot point for others which was disappointing.

message 2: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica 'Sad trombone of an anticlimactic denouement' is my new favorite description. Thank you

Tina Yeah, the mom made me so uncomfortable. I did not know how to process her. Victim? co-conspirator? enabler? all three? I think I would have preferred to jettison the Darby trauma plot and replaced it with a better, deeper exploration of the mom.