Brittney's Reviews > Home from the Sea

Home from the Sea by Mercedes Lackey

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Maybe 1 or 2 friends. Maybe.

When I read the description for this book, I was intrigued. Unfortunately, all Home From the Sea was is a disappointment. To start off with, Daffyd is not a Water Master. He isn't even much more than a side character used at first to explain why Mari has to marry at 18, and later as a reason for Nan, Sarah & Puck to cause mischief to the constable.

Mari had a vague notion that she would marry when she was 18, but that was no different than the other young women of her small town. It wasn't until her 18th birthday that her father finally worked up the nerve to tell her she would have to have 2 kids with a selkie for their good fortune to continue. Oh, and by the way, he'd be arriving soon. After this revelation, we only see Daffyd sporadically. Mari manages to make a deal with the selkies that she will get a Water Master teacher & she will choose who she ends up. She falls in love with her teacher instead of one of her prospects, and things with the selkie clan go down hill from there. When they take her twin sons & her husband, she follows and has to pass a series of tests: the first is Tam Lin's where she must hold onto him through whatever shape he takes; when he gets loose it turns into the Two Magicians and she has to catch him through various forms; once that is over, she has to answer questions trufully with decite (I'm not sure which tale this is from); and lastly, is the East of the Sun-she has to find her children & husband in their seal shapes mixed in with the others.

Notice how I didn't mention Nan, Sarah, or Puck? They weren't needed for the story to progress. Each time the story went to their point of view was annoying. They could have been some good supporting characters, but they were made into dual heroines with Mari, and I was frustrated that they kept interferring with the flow of the story. Granted, with out their sections the book book would be half the size, and more of a novella, but I would have preferred that.

The only reason I am rating this 2 stars is because I liked Mari as a character, and while there are still a few unanswered questions, I enjoyed the ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home from the Sea.

March 8, 2012 – Shelved