Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > Wicked Fox

Wicked Fox by Kat Cho

did not like it
bookshelves: book-of-the-month, fantasy, young-adult-fiction, dnf

DNF at page 215

CW: parental abandonment, scenes of violence, parental abuse, and bullying

This book started with a bang. I had been excited about this since I heard about it. I grew up steeped in Korean culture -- thanks to doing taekwondo, their form of martial arts -- so I couldn't wait to hear more of the mystical things. But, this book quickly fell away.

Miyoung and Jihoon were very boring for me. Like, I get the angst they both had. They were both abandoned by one or both parents and I'd argue that Miyoung's mother is abusive. But, God, I get so tired of the trope that Miyoung exuded. The whole "I'm so evil that you can't like me" thing. Again, I get the mindset. I understand what it's grounded in. But, I don't like it and I get tired of it being on the page. Always gives me major flashbacks to sparkily Edward Cullen.

Other than that, the plot started interesting, but it fell away. I was exactly halfway through the book when I realized that it just wasn't working for me and I didn't need to find out what happened next.

Shame, but oh well.

This is one of Book of the Month's YA choices! July's over, but you can still get this as an add-on if my review didn't scare you away! (Clicking the link will take you to my affiliate page where you can sign up. I get a small commission.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Fox.

July 23, 2019 – Started Reading
July 23, 2019 – Shelved
July 23, 2019 – Shelved as: book-of-the-month
July 23, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 23, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult-fiction
July 25, 2019 –
page 146
34.03% "Jihoon's halmeoni is my favorite character."
July 26, 2019 –
page 215
50.12% "Calling it here. DNF and RTC!"
July 27, 2019 – Shelved as: dnf