Jodi's Reviews > False Bingo: Stories

False Bingo by Jac Jemc

31966999

I love a good scary story! Unfortunately, I was atypically not quite in the mood for one for the past few months, and so False Bingo lingered in my NetGalley queue. That is a reflection on the reader, not the writer.

Jac Jemc's False Bingo (the reason for the title will become obvious) is a collection of 20 short stories, with varying degrees of creepiness, paranoia, and horror. A couple have elements of gore, especially "Get Back". Most, however, coat ordinary people, places, and things with an ever-thickening layer of menace. I thought of Shirley Jackson, one of my favorites, then saw a dedication to Shirley Jackson under one of the story titles!

My favorites were:

* The Principal's Ashes, about a second grade teacher who fears her students
* Loser, a savage story about scent and the high school pecking order that will be all too recognizable to every former victim of mean girls and bullies
*Trivial Pursuit, which unleashes the scariest characters among all the drunk drivers, murderers, paranoiacs, and lonely hearts in Jemc's entire book--The Board Game Couple!
* and the final story, Loitering, which contains stories within it and a fantastic twist.

However, False Bingo is a terrific chocolate box that will contain a treat for anyone who likes to be scared sometimes. Your favorites may vary.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Bingo.

July 23, 2019 – Started Reading
July 23, 2019 – Shelved
July 24, 2019 –
35.0% "This is a collection of short stories. So far, I really like The Principal's Ashes and Loser. One story was gory; most are creepy and disturbing, in a fun way."
July 24, 2019 – Finished Reading