Elodie's Reviews > What a Scot Wants

What a Scot Wants by Amalie Howard

19189180

What a Scot needs

I confess I didn’t knew this duet of authors until I saw their soon-to-come new book. And how I am glad I decided to follow their Facebook pages, I laughed so much at Imogen and Ronan attics and the pranks they tried to trap the other in.
Sure it is a historical romance but also a rom-com.
What crazy situations each put the other in just to be the one not breaking their orchestrated betrothal, it was so hilarious. Even ridicule will not stop them if they can deter the other.
OMG the ride scene in the park had me crying while laughing, so much I nearly chocked.
Because they are nor dimwitted nor brainless-beings, each encounter is a gambling of will and ingenuity.
Each plotting how to make the other cried off, showing as walking horrors, seductress or lothario or bashful lover...
Then the game changed, it came from silly to hot and cold when old acquaintances from their past intruded into their match.
While keeping their interest open, when the nightmares from Imogen are reawakened, she is trapped between two walls and finely wonders whom to choose and to trust, if she can still trust.

Their own past failure made them whom they are now, they were shaped by the invisible scars left unhealed.
As was a very young miss who was to late to save her abused friend and betrayed by said-abuser. Imogen then decided to rescue and offer shelter to the women left bearing alone men sins. Now she offers a second chance to women deemed unworthy and she won’t surrender her hard work because others have decided she could not pursue such a path eternally.
While Ronan having felt betrayed and abandoned by his first love, he since never considered any woman worthy his attention.
But Imogen despite all her attempts stirs within him something he thought buried, a worth, much more deeper.

While the second part of the story was more serious dealing with difficult issues, it kept its quips and its touch of irony.
After a full of fun half, it was Imogen’s journey to let the past go and choose to heal or not while Roman must decide if she is really so wrong for him. But none would be able to move on if they can’t trust another and faith is not in everyone and not everybody deserves it.

In all, I loved Imogen and Ronan even if I would have loved to see Imogen fight a bit earlier in the story but I also understand she was consumed by her own guilt, in spite of being a victim too.

I have just a reservation, I am no historical specialist but was it accepted for a betrothed to travel or be alone in a carriage, or even sharing the same town residence with her fiancé without an acknowledged chaperone. I do believe Imogen was given far too much freedom for her time.

I was granted an advance copy by Netgalley and the publisher Entangled Publishing. I ordered my own copy and here is my true and unbiased opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What a Scot Wants.

July 23, 2019 – Shelved