Steven's Reviews > The Conscience of a Liberal

The Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman

Aug 02, 2008

bookshelves: race, politics
Read in August, 2008

Paul Krugman is unabashedly liberal; sometimes I wish the Democratic Party was a bit more like Mr. Krugman. In this book Krugman chronicles the history of progressive economic policies and how those post New Deal gains have slowly been rolled back by the modern conservative movement. The historical analysis set forth in the book is certainly its high point and I especially enjoyed the evidence presented to further the assertion that the New Deal lead to the rise of the American middle class in the 1950s. Krugman also does a great job destroying two canards: the idea that a higher minimum wage yields job losses and the idea that Vietnam vets were always greeted by spitting protestors. A few disturbing thoughts from the book include the idea that we are not just imagining it, the divide between Republicans and Democrats is greater now than it used to be, and the rising income inequality in place in this country between the haves and have-nots. Indeed, the income inequality section of the book was especially prescient, given the fact that the book pre-dates some of the more recent economic troubles. All that said, I think one should take this book with a grain of salt. At base, Krugman advocates the redistribution of wealth and for a variety of reasons, that is a road that I cannot advocate traveling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Conscience of a Liberal.

06/02/2016 marked as: read