06madisonj's Reviews > Dusty Britches

Dusty Britches by Marcia Lynn McClure

Mar 08, 2012

Dusty Britches was a really good book and I enjoyed it a lot. Usually it takes me a while to finish a book but i finished this one in about two or three days. My sister gave me this book to read and i didn't think that it was going to be very good, I was wrong. It took me a while to get into this book; however once I got into it I was hooked. This book is 263 pages long and it was written by Marcia Lynn McClure. Dusty Britches was published in 2003.

Dust is a nineteen year old young women who has had her heart broken twice, once when she was fourteen and the other when she was seventeen. Dusty lives on a farm with her sister, dad, and the cowhands (cowboys) her dad hires. Dusty has decided that she will never love again but that becomes hard for her when her dad comes home from a cattle drive and he brings back the man (Ryder Maddox) that broke her heart the first time. Dusty finds out that Ryder never intentionally meant to hurt her. But Dusty continues to fight the feelings and love that she has for Ryder because she doesn't want to be hurt again. Through the book Dusty and Ryder have their good moments and their moments of disagreement. Slowly Ryder begins to soften Dusty up and she starts to smile and care again.

This book would not be the same if it were set in a different time period. In the book people are getting married even though they are quite a few years apart. If this were to happen now a days people would consider it weird or wrong but I guess it was okay back then. Another thing that wouldn't work is that they have town socials, we don't do much of that now. One of my favorite things about this book is when dusty is day dreaming there are some funny stories. One of the stories is in the beginning on page 28. Dusty is just a little girl and she is having a tea party with her sister by the creek and Dusty falls in the river and gets soaked. Know that its just her and her sister dusty take her dress off so that she only has her underclothes on. When it is finally time to go back to the house Dusty has to take the tea table back while her sister gets the chairs. When she gets back to the house the leg of the table gets stuck on a tree root and she falls down. When she gets up she tries to get the table again and she falls. In the book it says "Of course, her father, Feller Lance and sever hands burst into laughter as Angelina stoop up and dusted the seat of her bloomers, only then realizing that she has forgotten to put her dress back on." It turns out that this is the way she meets Ryder. A theme that this book illustrates is: You shouldn't push people away that you love because you don't know what you're missing.

If I had to recommend this book I would recommend it to girls my age and older who like love stories because this book is a good love story. I am so glad that I read this book because it is now at the top of my list. Plus this book taught me a lesson that is okay to have a bad day but don't let one person ruin the rest of your life.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dusty Britches.