Janet 's Reviews > The Family-Friendly Keto Instant Pot Cookbook: Delicious, Low-Carb Meals You Can Have On the Table Quickly & Easily

The Family-Friendly Keto Instant Pot Cookbook by Anna Hunley

bookshelves: k-e-k, cookbook-food-alc, 2019reviwed-when-i-read

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

Popular keto blogger Anna Hunley, of Keto in Pearls, presents scrumptious, family-friendly keto recipes for your InstantPot™.

The ketogenic diet is taking the world of healthy eating by storm, but cooking for a ketogenic diet can be cumbersome. You can’t rely on processed or quick-cooking high-carb options, like pasta or rice, for a fast meal, and you don’t always have the time to labour over a hot stove.

The Family-Friendly Keto InstantPot™ Cookbook helps you feed your family enjoyable low-carb meals quickly and effortlessly. With the InstantPot™’s ability to cook food in a fraction of the time, you’ll have your family sitting down at the table to eat in no time. (And with only one pot to clean too!)

Anna shows you how to unlock the versatility of your InstantPot™ with over 100 flavoursome dishes like Enchilada Casserole, Coffee Rubbed Pulled Pork, Shrimp Etouffée, and Salted Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake. All of the recipes are created with the author's trademark budget-friendly ingredients and kid-approved tastes.

This book had some serious yumminess amongst its pages – I cannot wait to make the Salted Caramel Cheesecake. I must divide my review into several parts, though

1. The recipes in here look gorgeous and the recipes are well written as is the introduction which explains the keto diet and how it works.
2. There are a lot of foods here that are not processed which is a boon for anyone’s food – Frankenfoods like “Beyond Meat”, tofu hot dogs and fake chicken are so processed it does not matter what diet you are following. (Cultured celery extract and its extracts in “natural meats” are actually harder on your body and more toxic than “real” nitrates. Bacon is here but not in huge, heavy rotation which is good.
3. Any diet that allows me to eat Pimento Cheese (or any cheese) in massive quantities is amazing.
4. Mashed cauliflower does not taste like mashed potatoes no matter how much cream and fat you add to them.
5. However, I am not sure if feeding your kids keto food all the time is wise, whether they need to lose weight or not ... if they are epileptic it is not a problem….
(Per the Mayo Clinic, who I trust --- While the ketogenic diet may be recommended for some people/chldren with uncontrolled epilepsy, the high-fat content — and especially the high level of unhealthy saturated fat — combined with limits on nutrient-rich fruits, veggies and grains is a concern for long-term heart health.
The keto diet, although it is usually free of many processed foods, is not recommended for weight loss in children because it seriously limits carbohydrates, and children need carbs to be mentally and physically active. Foods high in a carbohydrate called fibre help promote feeling full and aid in weight control or weight loss.) Maybe do the Keto foods in the Instant Pot Instant Pot’s and let them eat carbs like rice, potatoes, pasta or bread/wraps as well?)

Lectures aside, this is a great book to make meals from – it is YOUR decision as to whether or not you let the kids eat extra carbs or not. There are recipes that will be in heavy rotation in this house as I have PCOS and low carb foods are a thing in my child-free home!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🥓🧀🥓🧀
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family-Friendly Keto Instant Pot Cookbook.

July 23, 2019 – Started Reading