Sheryl Sorrentino's Reviews > Crazy Enough: A Memoir

Crazy Enough by Storm Large

5819312
Mar 08, 2012

Read from March 29 to April 07, 2012

I found this memoir entertaining and enjoyable on so many levels, not the least of which was just how much courage it must have taken Storm Large to offer such an up-close-and-personal public glimpse into her life. I guess my own book, "Later With Myself: The Misadventures of Millie Moskowitz," might have looked something like this had I written it as a memoir instead of a novel (I blog on this very topic at http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...). But getting back to Ms. Large: She wrote a gripping, powerful, shocking, and ultimately uplifting memoir about being raised in the shadows of mental illness, her mother's repeated suicide attempts (and the emotional impact of her ultimate death), and her own terror of losing her mind as an adult. The fact that this woman was eventually able to convert all of this disconcerting psychic energy into a successful music career speaks volumes to (hokey and overused as the phrase may be) the strength of the human spirit. I was enthralled by the fantastic scenes of fans' bizarre and disturbing behavior (not to mention Ms. Large's handling of them), and could practically feel the rush that she experiences while performing. Her account of undergoing rapid eye therapy, or RET, was downright chilling.

There were moments where I felt the repeated scenes of sex, drugs and rock-and-roll were perhaps a tad gratuitous, but I suppose I could just as easily be accused of similar infractions in my own novel. As with any book, I defer to the author on her choice of content. Besides being an obviously talented writer, Ms. Large is a gloriously free spirit who possesses a much larger than average personality. She deserves her place in the spotlight, and I wish her great success with both her writing and music careers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy Enough.