Martha☀'s Reviews > This is the Story of a Happy Marriage

This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, biography, audiobook, short-stories

In this re-packaged collection of previously-published articles and speeches, Patchett recounts her life events and passes on her advice to struggling writers.
"I am a big fan of Ann Patchett but ..."
is a common starting phrase among the GR reviewers for this book, followed by disappointment in this one. I, on the other hand, am not a big fan but I also found this book to be too self-congratulatory and arrogant. I am not sure why her books are showing up in my reading pile but this one was probably my last.

For most of the essays, I was put-off by Patchett's enormous ego and her condescending tone. She narrates her own audiobook which drips with patronization and feels robotic the rest of the time (if only Patchett would take a lesson from Barbara Kingsolver). She believes that she has made every right decision and that her way is the only way when it comes to writing but also for marriage, schooling, pet ownership, family relationships, etc. She shows very little understanding or compassion for anyone who has other opinions and even dares, at one point, to compare her actions and decisions to those of Buddha.
I gave three (ish) stars because, in true GR rating fashion, I never considered putting it aside and overall I liked it. Her disdain for people was almost refreshing. It is always fascinating to read opinions and articles which are so vastly in contrast with my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is the Story of a Happy Marriage.

July 22, 2019 – Started Reading