Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️'s Reviews > Frostblood

Frostblood by Elly Blake

DNF @ 37%

I don't usually rate books I DNF unless I make it to 50%, but this book has me bitter...even though it's pretty much my fault. Still. I got drawn into the hype and pretty cover and so, I bought not only this book in hardcover...but also books two and three...Because IDIOT. Regardless, you can imagine how much I wanted to love and persevere through this thing and its successors.

But alas, as much as I loathe wasting money, I just can't force myself to pick this book up anymore.

It basically reads like every other YA fantasy romance you've ever read before, except SHITTY. I have read (and rated highly) many a cliched YA in my time, but this one just isn't cutting the mustard. The writing is blah, the characters are wooden and one-dimensional, and the magic system is non-existent.

The only silver lining here is that I get to pare down my physical tbr by three books, albeit not via the avenue I would prefer. Thankfully though, I have since trained myself to stop buying entire series at once without first reading and loving book one. I still have a few unread series on my shelves which were purchased before said training took place, but hopefully I have better luck with those.

Onward.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frostblood.

July 22, 2019 – Shelved
July 22, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 24, 2019 –
page 47
July 24, 2019 –
page 123
32.71% "123 pages...almost zero world-building, a negligible magic system (okay, lazy elementalism masquerading as a magic system), and zero character development."
July 27, 2019 –
July 30, 2019 – Shelved as: donated-or-sold
July 30, 2019 – Shelved as: love-to-hate-and-hate-to-love
July 30, 2019 – Shelved as: magic
July 30, 2019 – Shelved as: ya-fantasy

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Tomlinson Ugh! I’m sorry. That totally blows. I’d be pissed AF too

Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ Jenna wrote: "Ugh! I’m sorry. That totally blows. I’d be pissed AF too"
It's totally my fault, but still...I'm disgruntled about it lol.

message 3: by Cyanure (new)

Cyanure No shame here, we all did the same mistake Val :(

message 4: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine That f##king sucks!!! It's happened to me before too! I'd like to think I've learned my lesson. Ty! For your Frank review Val!💖💋😉👍

message 5: by Maya (new)

Maya The covers get me, too. Sadly it sometimes turns out the way it did for you, too. :/

Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ Cyanure wrote: "No shame here, we all did the same mistake Val :("
🙏🏼

Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ Kat wrote: "That f##king sucks!!! It's happened to me before too! I'd like to think I've learned my lesson. Ty! For your Frank review Val!💖💋😉👍"
Thanks Kat :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ Maya wrote: "The covers get me, too. Sadly it sometimes turns out the way it did for you, too. :/"
Dang covers!

message 9: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Loves Books Bummer, Val...Hope your next read is much better!

message 10: by Leigh (new)

Leigh That stinks. I’m exactly the same way I hate to rate a DNF but sometimes I’m just bitter especially if I paid money for it.

Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ Sammy wrote: "Bummer, Val...Hope your next read is much better!"
Thanks Sammy!

Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ Leigh wrote: "That stinks. I’m exactly the same way I hate to rate a DNF but sometimes I’m just bitter especially if I paid money for it."
Yup, that's me right now.

Jennifer (DigiWrit) So sorry you wasted all that money! I borrow from the library before I even THINK about buying. And thank God for that! I'd have blown over $1000 by now if I hadn't.

message 14: by Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ (last edited Oct 11, 2019 03:55AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ Jennifer (DigiWrit) wrote: "So sorry you wasted all that money! I borrow from the library before I even THINK about buying. And thank God for that! I'd have blown over $1000 by now if I hadn't."
Believe me, I have learned my lesson. I went through a phase where I went on a buying splurge after discovering booktube and wanted to buy all the pretty hardcover sets. I have since more than curbed that habit and only buy book one after I've either read the kindle sample or loved the library book. And I've luckily been able to sell a lot of the sets I regret buying, including this one.

message 15: by Jade (new)

Jade Violet That sucks - probably the most frustrating outcome as a reader. Better luck next time!