Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Her Royal Highness

Her Royal Highness by Rachel Hawkins

bookshelves: audiobook, chaste, lgbt, romance

This is second in a series and events and characters from the previous book have resonance and impact in this one. I highly recommend reading these in order.

Well crap. I finished this over a week ago and it fell off my radar before I reviewed it. Not that I had much to say, really. I mean, if you read the first, then you know most of what you need to know for this one. Including the setup with a Scottish Royal Family and some of their weird dynamics. This story is for Flora and finding love that she can admit (difficult as she can only wish that she were bisexual because things would be so much easier if she liked boys).

Millie has lots of wish fulfillment hand waving as a Texas girl who managed to wrangle a scholarship to the exclusive boarding school Flora is set to attend. She has been burned by being the secret girlfriend of her best friend and was crushed when said girlfriend dumped her at the end of their summer together to go back to her ex. So she is so done with being anybody's secret anything. So it's just as well that they're just roommates.

I really liked this story of friendship and humanization. Flora has some very rough edges and tends to simply run over any obstacle that gets in her way and uses means that can splash back on those around her. And Millie does not appreciate being caught in the fallout. So their friendship has to grow by degrees and Hawkins managed to portray that extremely well and I enjoyed every minute of it. I particularly liked how upfront the school was when administrators discovered that there might be a romantic relationship sharing a room (no hysterics and no trying to tell them what to do or how to behave as the school policy has always been to treat the seniors as mostly-adults. They just swapped them for different roommates—to prevent the potential for abuse and drama—and let them figure out the rest).

Add some wonderful side characters and friendships and a plot that was interesting (however unlikely) and I was engaged and enjoying myself the whole way through. So this is a four or five star read (stupid memory) that I'm rounding to five because my memories of it are all good ones.

A note about the Audiobook: As with the first, the accents were important parts of the identities of the characters, so it was very gratifying with how well they were presented. Very well-done, I think (including Millie's very mild Texan twang).

A note about Chaste: I don't recall any steam and they spend most of the story trying to figure out how they could relate to one another and whether they were going to commit or not. So this is a chaste read, I think? Like the first, the emphasis is on the relationship, not on the nekkid bits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Royal Highness.

July 22, 2019 – Shelved