Nicolo Yu's Reviews > Astonishing X-Men - Volume 1

Astonishing X-Men - Volume 1 by Joss Whedon

Mar 07, 2012

bookshelves: collected-comics
Read 2 times. Last read March 7, 2012 to March 8, 2012.

I just got the second volume of the Astonishing X-Men hardcover series that collects Joss Whedon’s and John Cassaday’s entire twenty-five issue run on the title that I thought I’d read again the first volume that I bought a few years back. Reading it again reminded how good Whedon was with the X-Men, abetted by Cassaday's crisp and clean line art, he channels much of the excitement from Chris Claremont’s legendary turn with the characters.

The first twenty-four issues and the giant sized issue of Astonishing X-Men have Whedon’s fingerprints all over it. Ever since his cult classic Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie he has been known for his strong female characters. Reading his Kitty Pryde, I can’t help but imagine her as his Buffy analogue, especially her interaction with Emma Frost. Their relationship reminds me of Buffy and Cordelia from the first few seasons of the Buffy television series.

The first volume hardcover contains two arcs. The first, “Gifted”, sets up the characters who will all have important parts to play for the entirety of Whedon’s run. Whedon carries over Grant Morrison’s core X-Men from New X-Men, returning them to their superhero roots as Morrison took them to a more paramilitary direction. There are two key additions as well; one is Kitty Pryde, who is both his Buffy and avatar. This is Whedon returning to the X-Men of his youth, as Shadowcat is returning to the X-Mansion.

He returns Colossus to the team. In a series of a few pages, Whedon and Cassaday drafts an emotional sequence that brought the armored Russian back into the lives of Kitty and the X-Men readers. It brings me goose bumps every time I turn to that page where Kitty and Peter meet again for the first time since his death.

The second arc, “Dangerous” reminds the reader that the X-Men inherited their will to survive from their founder, Charles Xavier. The professor has a gritty turn as an action hero of sorts. This story also planted the seeds that lead to the estrangement of Cyclops and Xavier. In a moment of weakness, Xavier enslaves a sentient intelligence to serve a need the many, essentially bending his principles for his beloved X-Men. The threat they face here is not the only dangerous one, Xavier, despite his physical handicap could be what the title is referring to as well.

This is an excellent collection of the first twelve issues of Astonishing X-Men. It is done in an oversized trim, so to better enjoy Cassaday’s fine work with the pencil and brush. Laura Martin’s colors look better with the slick archival paper. This should be essential reading for every X-Men fan and this is one of the best formats to enjoy it in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Astonishing X-Men - Volume 1.

Finished Reading
March 7, 2012 – Started Reading
March 7, 2012 – Shelved
March 8, 2012 – Shelved as: collected-comics
March 8, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome review Nicolo! I really enjoyed Joss Whedon's run of Astonishing X-Men!

Nicolo Yu Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Nicolo! I really enjoyed Joss Whedon's run of Astonishing X-Men!"

Thanks! I enjoyed it too. Its already a classic run.

message 3: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Yeah! I wished that Joss Whedon wrote more X-Men books! This book is way better than the current X-Men books!

Nicolo Yu yes it is! I have high hopes for Jason Aaron's run on Wolverine & the X-Men though, I want to try it out when they release a trade