jenjn79's Reviews > If You See Her

If You See Her by Shiloh Walker

Mar 07, 2012

bookshelves: bought-walmart, condition-new, format-mmp, series-ash-trilogy, info-full, published-2012, genre-romance-suspense, 2012, reviewed, stars-4-5
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read from March 23 to 24, 2012 , read count: 1

Rating: 4.5 / 5

I enjoyed this book quite a bit, but yet I didn't find it to be as good as the first book in the series.

Series Note:
Second book in the "Ash" trilogy, about a small Kentucky town, the people who live there, and the weird things that begin to happen there. This series really should be read in order because there are continuing storylines and an overall story arc throughout the trilogy.

Summary:
Hope Carson has been through complete and utter hell in her life and she's only just beginning to put all the pieces back together. Part of that process is moving to the small town of Ash, Kentucky to work with her dear friend Law Reilly. But once there, things start going crazy, leaving others to think that she's crazy. One of those people is local DA Remy Jennings.

But Remy can't ignore his instincts that something is very off, and he can't deny his attraction toward Hope. Nor can she. Remy makes Hope feel things she'd thought to never feel again. Neither can stop the feelings developing between them. But Hope's past is about to catch up with her and Remy could lose her for good.

Review:
This book has a bit of a different tone than the first book in the series. The first book (If You Hear Her) is an excellent romantic suspense, very evenly balanced. It had me totally engaged. But this book isn't quite as balanced. The suspense element isn't nearly as strong, not as tense, creepy or mysterious. The story has a more psychological and emotional element as Hope tried to put her life back together and develop a relationship with Remy.

So from that point of view, this book wasn't as good for me. I love romantic suspense and prefer a very strong suspense element, which this book didn't quite have. It wasn't that I didn't like this one because I did. It was a very engaging read that I zipped right through, but I missed that stronger suspense element that existed in the first book.

The psychological and emotional drama though almost makes up for the lesser suspense angle. Poor Hope. That woman's been through hell and as a reader your heart breaks for her. But you have to also admire her strength in pulling herself up and trying to move on with her life. Getting to read about her growing and changing, beginning to believe in herself more, gaining that confidence...it was very well done. And the romance that blooms between her and Remy during such a tense time is very sweet. Maybe not quite as steamy as I'd hoped for but still hot.

The suspense aspect of the book (which is still there even if not as significant) is a bit of a two-pronged bit. There's the continuing mystery of the serial killer, and the predictable plot point of Hope's past catching up with her. You can pretty much guess where the book is heading, but the author does add some interest twists in there two keep it from seeming too trite.

Similar to the first book, this one doesn't answer all the plot points. Some are left to continue in the third and last book in the trilogy. Which does have a certain level of frustration because you really want to know who the serial killer is but it's also a kind of intriguing way to do a trilogy that you don't come across to often. And considering that I have the third book ready and waiting for me to read, I don't really mind that you're left hanging, waiting to get the final answers.

And like the previous book, you get a lot of the secondary characters. There are POV scenes involving the other 4 big characters in this series. You get to read more of the developing relationship between Lena and Ezra (book 1) and see the first meeting of Law and Nia (book 3). It really gives the series a great sense of continuity that Walker uses the characters in such a way throughout the series. I'm definitely intrigued about Law and Nia...they had a very...explosive...first meeting.

Two minor criticisms...1) the characters in this series blush way too much. You can go more than a couple pages without someone (female & male) blushing. I'd noticed it offhand in the first book but in this one it really stands out. It was just a bit overkill. And 2) having the heroine have a big falling out with her best friend in both books was a bit repetitive. Minor issues, though, and didn't really effect my enjoyment of the story. Just something that would have been tweaked.

And yeah, my review isn't quite as glowing as my review for the first book. But really, I highly enjoyed this one. I just liked the first book better. This was still a great read, though. Great characters, great romance, lots of emotion and drama. It just needed a little more suspense to compete with book 1. I'm very much looking forward to reading book 3 and seeing who the big bad really is. I have 3 guesses, leaning more toward one than the other two...can't wait too see if I'm right.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You See Her.

message 1: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY Am I right that I must read all three? None of them are standalones? If I get bored with this one, will I miss anything significant if I move on to the third book?

jenjn79 It's been a while since I read this series but I reread my review...the three books are pretty connected if I remember right. There's an overall suspense plot that goes through all three according to my review. I seem to remember that each book gives pieces but it isn't until the third that it all comes together. I know for me I would t be able to skip one but that's just me. I really enjoyed the series and wish the author would write another RS series.

message 3: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY Isis FG wrote: "It's been a while since I read this series but I reread my review...the three books are pretty connected if I remember right. There's an overall suspense plot that goes through all three according ..."

Thanks, Isis. I didn't care for her earlier Fragile even though it received good ratings and reviews. It was my first SW and I didn't check out any others until I stumbled on this trilogy.

jenjn79 This trilogy was a lot different than Fragile. It's more standard romantic suspense. More romantic than Karen Rose but more true suspense than say a Nora Roberts hardcover. Give the first one a try. If you don't like it you can just skip the rest.

message 5: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY Isis FG wrote: "This trilogy was a lot different than Fragile. It's more standard romantic suspense. More romantic than Karen Rose but more true suspense than say a Nora Roberts hardcover. Give the first one a try..."

Oh I will definitely try it:)