T's Reviews > Turner

Turner by Karl Drinkwater

bookshelves: scary

A solid 4.5 stars. But...Not for the squeamish!

When I read this, I had been on a horror/scary book kick. However, zombies and sparkly vampires need not apply. Try as I may, I just can't seem to get into the vampire/zombie genres. I also like reading books by self and/or independently published authors. Unfortunately, there seems to be an absolute glut of vampire and zombie indie books out there.

Until I came across this one.

While some readers may bemoan a premise that has been done ad nauseum - take misfit psychos an isolated population who is lorded over (quite literally) by the ultimate psycho-crazy-baddie, add in bad weather, and unfortunate tourists (they should really fire their travel agents) - the reason behind why the island's citizens are the way they are is intriguing. I won't say much more than that because I don't want to spoil anything. I will say I found myself googling pagan rites that I hadn't previously been aware. From an anthropological/historical viewpoint (which I will freely admit to LOVE reading books like this), I find books that are based on legends and belief systems from pre-history absolutely fascinating. I wish more books like this were available. After all, nearly every culture has its own version of the boogeyman, why not use them as your villain? It strikes something deep and primal.

That being said, and if history ain't your thing, it will still appeal to modern readers as it's also a big ol' slashy mess at times. Much like the premise, the characters are intriguing, too. While, admittedly, because it is a slice 'n' dice book, you don't get too much background on most of the characters, the 2 big ones, the evil Lord and foil, have enough fleshed out about them so the reader can understand why they are adversaries beyond the whole 'captor/prisoner' relationship.

Recommended! I'll definitely be on the look out for other titles written by Mr. Drinkwater.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turner.

March 7, 2012 – Shelved
November 18, 2012 – Started Reading
November 19, 2012 –
November 20, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Karl (new) - added it

Karl Drinkwater Yay! Looking forward to reading your review, they make me very happy!

message 2: by Karl (new) - added it

Karl Drinkwater A few people have commented on enjoying the history/religion/myth aspect, and researching it further: I'm glad that worked out.