Jen's Reviews > Last Chance Rodeo

Last Chance Rodeo by Kari Lynn Dell

47193647

I loved this book so much! I rarely give a book 5 stars, but I really felt that this book was deserving of that rating. I recently discovered Kari Lynn Dell and after finishing all the Texas Rodeo books, I was anxious to start another series by her.

I didn't realize when I started reading the book that the author was actually a member of the Blackfeet Nation. I knew that the things she wrote about were factual (like how county/state law enforcement doesn't have jurisdiction over tribal law enforcement). So that was a welcome surprise. I loved that the author took the time to raise awareness of issues that plague Native Americans, especially those on reservations. I'm a card-carrying Native American myself (my tribe doesn't have a reservation though), so I can confirm that alcoholism, drugs, poverty and lack of education are all things that most Native American communities struggle with. So thank you for bringing this to the attention of others.

Now back to the plot. I wouldn't really classify this book as a romance, as there is actually very little romancing going on until the very end (they don't even have sex in this book). But it's a great story about a man (David) who follows his conscience and helps / encourages a young man (Kylan) who really needs to find where he belongs in the world. And of course, there's the added sparks between Kylan's guardian, Mary, and David, that keep you rooting for them to get their HEA.

Speaking of a HEA, this book has more of a HFN. It ends just a few weeks after David leaves the reservation and is part of Cowboy Christmas (the July rodeo circuit). They promise to try and make things work and that's it. If I had one complaint, it's the ending, or lack thereof. I really wanted more, maybe even an epilogue to give us a glimpse into their lives post-Muddy drama. Regardless, I still loved the book and read it in a matter of hours. I can't wait for more from the series!!!

Note: It appears as though this book was previously released under a different name (The Long Ride Home).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Chance Rodeo.

Started Reading