Deborah E Kehoe's Reviews > The Bookish Life of Nina Hill

The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman

Nina Hill is perfectly happy with her quiet life working in a book store and occasionally hearing from her famous photographer mother. She runs several book clubs and meets her friends for their weekly trivia night at local bars. When a lawyer calls out of the blue telling her that her father died she finds out that she has brothers and sisters that live only a few blocks away her life gets turned upside down.

Since her hilarious debut with The Garden of Small Beginnings Abbi Waxman novels jump to the top of my TBR. The Bookish Life of Nina Hill had the same quirky characters and funny one liners I’ve come to love, but in Nina Hill there was a vulnerability that her other characters didn’t have. Nina was a very complex woman. Raised by a nanny, Nina never had the love of a parent or any siblings. Her life was pretty solitary and change made her anxiety skyrocket.

I loved the cast of characters in this novel! Her trivia friends, and love interest/arch nemesis Tom added depth and fun to her somewhat melancholy character. Her brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces- each added a different emotion for Nina to either embrace or overcome. Connection isn’t easy for a woman whose life has been purposely quiet and structured. All of these people force her to move and live outside her comfort zone, which I think a lot of readers could identify with. I identified with Nina’s love for books, her overstuffed bookshelves, and her need for a quiet night of reading. 🙂

If you’re a fan of quirky novels with a hint of a love story and a lot of family drama, then I think you should give the Bookish Life of Nina Hill a try. If you’ve read Abbi Waxman’s previous novels, you’ll enjoy seeing a few familiar characters again, and will like getting to know some new ones. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bookish Life of Nina Hill.

June 23, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
June 23, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
July 21, 2019 – Started Reading