Jennifer's Reviews > Lies

Lies by Kylie Scott

1.5 stars.

I'm sorry to say that I didn't really like this one. The only thing I really enjoyed was the h's character. She had her normal hang-ups, but I didn't find her annoying. It's a low bar, I know. Everything else, the OTT plot, lack of relationship development, unsure safety, and ending made me pretty mad. It would've gone a long way if the H managed to apologize for lying to the h for over a year. Or if he'd reassured her that he was always faithful to her whenever he was away for work. But he didn't do either of those things. The h does ask him point blank if he had other girlfriends or a family somewhere else, but he denied it. That's hardly a denial of cheating, but some might say that he was faithful to the h. I'm not sure. At least he didn't come across as a manho.

The fact that his lies and fake persona caused her insecurities about herself to flare up needed an apology. He recognized that's what happened, only after she mentioned it of course, and did a pretty poor job disabusing her of that idea. I know that he had emotional issues. Given his foster child background, I understood his difficulties. However, I suppose I really enjoy emotionally normal and mature characters more than what we got in this book.

Overall, the angst that was caused by the H's deception was not sufficiently undone if at all. The ending didn't make up for his terrible behaviour at all. If anything, (view spoiler) I can't recommend this book to anyone who likes a romance story. It wasn't very romantic at all.

Trigger (view spoiler). Too much swearing and intimate scenes for me to skim.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies.

July 21, 2019 – Started Reading
July 22, 2019 – Shelved as: romance
July 22, 2019 – Shelved as: wealthy-person
July 22, 2019 – Shelved as: stars-1-5
July 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I couldn't finish this. I didn't like the hero at all.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Great review, Jennifer! Some romances are just stupid and unexplainable. I hope your next read will be better.

Jennifer Jenny wrote: "I couldn't finish this. I didn't like the hero at all."

I used to adore Kylie Scott's books...well, maybe just Lick and the one with Mal. However, I think I've changed and can no longer connect with either the plot or the MCs.

Michelle wrote: "Great review, Jennifer! Some romances are just stupid and unexplainable. I hope your next read will be better."

The plot of this book wasn't stupid as much as it was unbelievable. Honestly, why would the h want to trust the H again and take the H back after he lied THE BIGGEST ONE OF ALL is beyond me. Maybe I'm just weird...

netty Ditto to this review- much more groveling was needed. And the ended just made me mad that he lied again!