Jess's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Mar 07, 2012

Read from November 29 to December 09, 2013

I'll be honest, I'm really kinda over zombies, or close to it. I've only ever seen the one episode of The Walking Dead since I could feel it coming on (that, & Daryl looks like an awesome character who I don't want to get attached to in case he dies, which he totally would if the writers are anything like Whedon or Moffat). The only reason I read WWZ now is because the audiobook FINALLY arrived from the library. Yes, I have the trade paperback sitting on my shelf, & yes, I will someday read it (since this is, alas, an abridged version), but DEAR LORD, THAT CAST. Mark Hamill & Nathan Fillion & Henry Rollins & Simon Pegg and and and. Nerdgasms galore. Whoever put this together sure knows their target audience.

That said, this is one of the best apocalyptic books I've ever read. One of my biggest gripes about others (The Passage books most recently spring to mind) is their passing, if any, mention of the rest of the world. Is the shit storm engulfing North America affecting other countries as well? Why or why not? How are they coping? Is it working? Why or why not? To be fair, the reason for a lack of a mention either way in other books is probably because whatever cataclysm has occurred has also rendered communication with the rest of the world nearly impossible. But in a scenario like zombies or superflu or radiation or whatever, it would be comforting to know that the human race would live on somewhere, even if it wasn't here at home. I LOVED the global scope of WWZ, the glimpses into the best & worst of humanity, how the author covered "what ifs?" like the International Space Station & the oceans.

Now I am wondering if the movie is as skippable as it looks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

11/29/2013 marked as: currently-reading