Tracy Robinson's Reviews > The Good House

The Good House by Tananarive Due

Shame on me for not finding and reading this book until SIXTEEN YEARS after publication. Earlier this year I read Dr. Due’s book, THE BETWEEN, and I loved it. My bookish pals Mindi, Emily, and Audra loved it too, so we immediately made plans to read more of her work. The Good House was the perfect choice. While I loved The Between, I think this one has edged it out as my favorite of hers so far.

As far as craft goes, Due is a masterful storyteller. She blends atmosphere, dialogue, and pace in such a way that a 400+ page paperback feels too short. Not because it didn’t end well, but because as a reader I just wanted to keep living in this world. Published in 2003, the issues and surroundings in this book are still fresh and engaging. And heartbreaking. Death of family members, racism, and ancestral heritage are all explored in these pages.

I see all too often that people are disappointed when a book doesn’t “scare” them. Putting aside that this has no bearing on the worth of a horror/suspense book, Due delivers scenes that had this seasoned horror reader completely creeped out. There was one part in particular that me running to our group chat to tell them just that. To have a book make me look up in shock to side eye my surroundings is a rare treat.

Looking for a longer read that flys by? A book that will immerse you in story and circumstance? A plot that keeps you guessing right until the end? Read this book. Dr Due has become a favorite author and I will immediately purchase whatever she comes up with next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good House.

July 20, 2019 – Started Reading