Vinnie Marseco's Reviews > Hurricane Force: In the Path of America's Deadliest Storms

Hurricane Force by Joseph B. Treaster

U 50x66
Mar 07, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

This book was rather interesting and really struck home since I have been a Florida resident for twenty-two years. Hurricanes are rather frequent (except for these past few years there has not been many) in Florida, and this book really gives you a better understanding of how powerful and underestimated hurricanes really are. This book contains many examples of different hurricanes that have made landfall since the 1940's and shows how technology has made tracking, preparing, and understanding hurricanes.

As a reader, this book is just another book about facts and information, nothing that would really want to make you read it for fun. But if you are interested in hurricanes or just want to learn a little more about them this is a quick and easy read to learn about them.

As a teacher, this book is a handy little tool to help students to understand how hurricanes form and what causes them to become more powerful overtime. As an English teacher I would not use this as a primary text but more of a supplement to a science teachers lesson who many be teaching about weather systems.

Overall, I would say this book is entertaining and can perhaps bring back some memories for people who have experience a few hurricanes in their lifetime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hurricane Force.

Coral Bachen Maybe it's just me, but I would have probably read this one for fun as a 6th grader. Since hurricanes do hit home (pun intended) for us, reading this book made me learn about something that had become so commonplace for me. I kind of forgot about the innerworkings of the storm itself until I read this book. Very informative, indeed! Brought a new perspective, too, with the huge section on Katrina. This is very handy for science/weather units, and English teachers can bring it in as a non-fiction piece around hurricane season... be careful, though, some kids might get upset.