G's Reviews > Living with the Dead

Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong

Mar 07, 2012

liked it
Read from March 07 to April 21, 2012

Kelley Armstrong is a writing goddess. She manages to put in her stories grand plot twists and it still isn't repetitive and you keep wanting to read more. The characters are likable, and the ones you aren't supposed to like, you truly despise. One thing that has often happened to me is that the authors put too much effort into making the protagonists likable, and even with books I like, I tend to like the side-characters more than the characters I'm supposed to care about. This doesn't happen to Armstrong's characters, because she just writes them, not caring too much about how much you'll care or not care about the characters, and you find that, yes, you do care.

Something else that I find extremely refreshing on her stories, is that her romances aren't forced and unconvincing and definitely aren't the most important thing in the narrative. In this book, we have Hope and Karl who already have a relationship, and there's a spark between other two characters, moving more towards the ending, but as in real life, even if you're already in a relationship to someone you're very committed about and love, it isn't (as it shouldn't be) your entire life. There are more urgent things involved so the sappiness never happens, to which I'm insanely glad. (I do like romances sometimes, very rarely, but I do like them sometimes, but this isn't what the book's premise brings, so I'd hate to see a supernatural mystery turned into Twilight. Armstrong, of course, delivers.)

This is written by a brilliant author. The book is good, and I especially like the ending, though I don't think it's anywhere as good as The Darkest Powers trilogy. Still, the author is so good that I'd still recommend the book to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living with the Dead.

03/07/2012 page 73
04/13/2012 page 207
38.0% "Got back to reading it, finally! While I admit I'm nowhere near finishing it, I'm just happy to be back to reading it. I really love the author's writing style."
show 1 hidden update…