El's Reviews > The Black Dahlia

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

Aug 02, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: 20th-centurylit-late, 1001-books-list
Recommended to El by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (193/1001)
Read in August, 2008

I have been out of town for the past week and do not have much desire to go in-depth in my discussion of books I have read in that time. The Black Dahlia in particular is one that I was so highly disappointed in that I don't have the heart to give it much more than an "it was okay" rating. As much as I adore perfectly twisted murder mystery movies and books I found Ellroy's book sadly incompetent. Maybe I expected something a little more Sunset Boulevard-in-print than this. All in all I found it hard to keep my attention which is really unfortunate in that it is considered, somehow, to be one of the "1,000 books to read before I die".

Well, I read it, and I tell you what... I would have been pissed had my plane crashed and burned with The Black Dahlia having been one of the last books I read before I died.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Dahlia.

Alex Just finished this this morning. I agree.

message 2: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El If I hadn't included the detail about having been on a plane, I'm not sure I would have remembered when I had read this. Now at least I can say "Oh, hey, I read that at Grandma's!"

So I take it you're not going to read any other books by Ellroy?

Alex Can't imagine why I would, no.

There was an afterword in my edition, written after the recentish movie adaptation by Brian DePalma, that's so fucking smug. "I wrote a great novel, and this man did my great novel great justice. Boy, are we both clever people." Barf.

message 4: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Oh, man, that sounds really familiar. I might have read that in my edition but conveniently blocked it out.

What this really does is make me want to re-watch Sunset Boulevard again, so that's a plus.