Christine's Reviews > A Wolf at the Table

A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs

Aug 01, 2008

Read in July, 2008

Some of the "Average Joe" negative reviews of A Wolf at the Table that I've read online complain that author Augusten Burroughs' "didn't really know what it was like to be abused" or that Burroughs' mental anguish in the hands of his father's quasi-psychotic unpredictability "was boring, same day in day out" or that "it wasn't funny." Wow. What a bunch of self-centered, whiny turds.

A Wolf at The Table is what it is - a simple memoir of a son who spends a lifetime searching for the love of his father (who happens to be detached, cunning, and mentally ill). Yet, it is powerfully written and evocative. Burroughs' growth and maturity as a writer, the ease at which his writing breathes from the page is most evident in A Wolf at the Table. It compelled me from the start. In fact, I contend that might be the best Burroughs' work to date.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wolf at the Table.

05/17/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Dona (new)

Dona Great review. Although I haven't read this particular Burroughs memoir yet, I hope to soon. And I agree with you about those reviewers--abuse and one's perception of that abuse isn't objective. No one experiences the world in the same way.

Kelli Agree with Henske. I loved this book. It's not nearly as humorous as Burroughs other books, which is what leads people to believe that he can't write seriously. But it's a painful account of the lifelong realization that one's father is probably a psychopath.

Melissa completely agree with the assertions in your review. i think this is by far his best work.

sad that so many people seem to think that AB can only write a good memoir if he plays the clown for them.

good stories entertain; great stories make you feel.