Michael's Reviews > The Grace Year

The Grace Year by Kim Liggett

bookshelves: favorites

I recieved a digital copy free from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Grace year is a survival horror tale that nails it completely. It is dark, disturbing, and unsettling. It kicks off with just how grim the setting is as we meet Tierney James, our protagonist. We learn how women are forced in to a grace year at 16 to dispel their magic as they survive together and against each other, as well as other dangers lurking around them. We see how women who have gone through the grace year now comprise their roles as good, subservient wives, or they are shipped off to labor jobs, outcast, or even killed.

Tierney is a strong willed main character, who wants to buck the rules, be her own person, and lead her own life. Yet when she is handed a veil before she heads off in to the Grace Year, she now has a target on her. Thus begins a year of violence, backstabbing, survival, and just trying to maintain her own sanity.

I won't discuss the book much further, because I feel like a lot of details, even if small can give away a lot with this book. It is also a book I can describe in terms of just how dark, gritty, and horrific it is, but struggle to explain it to someone wanting me to tell them about it. It's one of those books where I just end up saying, "You just have to read it, you won't be disappointed".

The best way to describe it is, this book is a tale of strong women taking on a patriarchal society that has brutally kept the women in line. Learning to realize the true dangers surrounding them, which is not just the dangers of nature and The Grace Year, but the thoughts ingrained within them from birth, and the society built to keep them in line and benefit off them.

This is a can't miss YA title, that everyone should take note of and read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grace Year.

July 19, 2019 – Shelved