Kimberly's Reviews > Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder

Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder by Amy Lillard

bookshelves: 2019, cozy-mysteries, netgalley-2019, noting-your-novels-2019

Though I felt that the first few chapters of this new cozy mystery series was a little disjointed, I quickly fell in love with Sugar Springs, Mississippi. Charming and with more than its share of sweet, quirky residents, the small town is home to Arlo Stanley, her bookshop, and the Friday Night Book Club. With the addition of a love triangle and a hilarious group of meddling, white-haired ladies, this has the promise of being a wonderful series.

The action was off to a quick start, which I enjoyed, though that may have been a factor in why it took me a few chapters to get into the book. The action came before the characters and setting were well developed. I'm not patient and have issues waiting around for things to happen, so having the murder take place at the first of the novel helped keep my attention from wandering. With several red herrings and likely suspects, I was left guessing as to how the mystery would be solved, which is another plus for any book in this genre.

While the characters were quirky and fun, the perfect combination for a rural, small town setting, I didn't feel connected to several of the secondary characters, especially the group of older ladies that the main character is friends with. There were three of them, Helen, Fern, and Camille, and at times they seemed so much alike that it seemed as if there were no distinguishing traits between them. I feel that they will be recurring in future installments, so I hope to see more of their backgrounds and personality differences in upcoming books so that they can shine through as well as Arlo and Chloe, her assistant, did.

Overall, it's a great first book in a series that I can't wait to see more of. I want to give a huge thank you to Poisoned Pen Press and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read an advanced copy given in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder.

July 19, 2019 – Shelved