Remy Sharp's Reviews > The Dark Forest

The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin

A tough/hard science start, but gets picks up and good gosh, the ideas in this book are…wow, expansive!

The Three Body Problem ends in a way that left me feeling like I _had_ to read the second book in the trilogy, and Ye Wenjie passes on the story to Luo Ji, though as the read we're not sure how or why at this early point.

I found the first chunk of the book (around 20%) pretty tough to read and very "hard science", but then it feels like the groundwork has been laid and the story kicks into gear.

One thing I found myself thinking over and over as I read through the book are how amazing Liu Cixin's mind is to be able to create these broad, world impacting ideas founded in (what I seemed to think was) real science. The variety and twist of ideas are quite amazing - particularly as the author tells of different ways that the entirety of humanity could be obliterated!

The last 1/4 of the book sped up for me and the story galloped towards a finale that tapered off fairly nicely at the end. Certainly I feel like this ending is enough to stop at (though I'll definitely read the last in the trilogy, Death's End).

Great stuff, if a little heavy at first.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Forest.

July 19, 2019 – Started Reading
July 19, 2019 – Shelved
August 8, 2019 –
34.0% "The story finally starts to become cohesive around 20% for me. Before that I was really struggling and considering parking it for a while and taking a break with another book."
August 17, 2019 – Finished Reading