Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Green

Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger

Mar 07, 2012

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, nature, non-fiction, picture-books, reviewed

This is a simple concept book but I love it. It probably helps that if I had to name a favorite color I’d have to say green.

I am perplexed about why two pages have just the words green with no adjectives because I could think of at least one for each of those. Even the zebra page works because of the (cute and amusing) adjective on its page.

The illustrations are gorgeous and they have interesting (not overdone) cutouts. Truly stunning!

While the pages are simple, they are not boring. Toward the end there are even a couple pages with no green and a couple multicolored pages.

I can see “sequels” for this, using every color of the rainbow, but green is conducive to showing so many mesmerizing, interesting, and educational things. I could spend a lot of time, and many times, viewing these pictures, and talking about them with young children.

A funny thing is that while this book doesn’t exactly have a story, it manages to have a perfect ending. This is a very satisfying book, aesthetically and emotionally too. I think it’s a really special book.

Perfect read aloud, for all ages/young children, as older children and adults can enjoy this book too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green.

message 1: by Petra X (new)

Petra X Green has more different shades and tones than any other colour in the world I think.

Lisa Vegan Petra X wrote: "Green has more different shades and tones than any other colour in the world I think."

Oh, interesting. I never knew that, and never thought about it. Anyway, it's a beautiful and interesting book.