BecSoBookish's Reviews > Magic for Liars

Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey

liked it

My feelings about this book are a little all over the place. When I started it, I thought the plot was great, but the writing was not really on par. As I kept reading, I found myself enjoying the story more and more. There are a lot of unique elements here, and I appreciated that. I probably would have ended up giving this 4 stars if it weren’t for the ending. I felt like the author started a lot of interesting concepts but didn’t follow through with most of them, and as a result, I didn’t find the ending to be very fulfilling.

What I do love about this book is the level of diversity. I know that sounds cliché, but in this case I’m referring to the fact that characters with various sexual identities exist without there being a sad coming out story, discrimination, and the like. It’s refreshing to read about gay characters who are not living a tragedy because of their gayness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic for Liars.

July 19, 2019 – Shelved
July 19, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2020 – Started Reading
February 5, 2020 –
70.0% "So I wasn't really into this book at the beginning, but I am enjoying it much more now. The murder mystery is itself intriguing, but I also love reading about the world Gailey has built for this novel. It seems like the author might be subverting some standard fantasy tropes, and I am here for it."
February 6, 2020 – Finished Reading