Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Make it Scream, Make it Burn

Make it Scream, Make it Burn by Leslie Jamison

bookshelves: read2019, reviewcopy, ebooks, essays, netgalley
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: https://themillions.com/2019/07/most-... because I can't resist

I feel like Jamison has matured in how she views relationships and other people. These essays seem more interested in other people's motivations and quirks than her own, and she comes across as curious and empathetic. In 2007, I wrote an article for an obscure music librarian journal about Second Life and she interviewed one of the same avatars for the essay on Second Life in this collection. "52 Blue" is a favorite in this collection, and I really liked "The Real Smoke" which is about Vegas culture and our unrealistic expectations of relationships.

This essay collection comes out next Tuesday (September 24, 2019,) and I have a copy from the publisher through NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make it Scream, Make it Burn.

July 19, 2019 – Shelved
September 21, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewcopy
September 21, 2019 – Shelved as: ebooks
September 21, 2019 – Shelved as: essays
September 21, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Michael Nice review, glad to see you enjoyed this. "The Real Smoke" was one of my favorites as well.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Michael wrote: "Nice review, glad to see you enjoyed this. "The Real Smoke" was one of my favorites as well."

I like essays that braid seemingly unrelated topics together and this one came close!