Samantha's Reviews > Don't You Forget About Me

Don't You Forget About Me by Mhairi McFarlane

Read 2 times

This book was entirely unexpected. I'd pulled it up on my Kindle expecting a rather run-of-the-mill romance that I would pick up and put down as I pleased.

Reader, I was wrong.

I whizzed through this book in a long afternoon, neglecting all manner of pressing responsibilities in favor of falling deeply, madly in love with Georgina and her world. Halfway through the book I realized it wasn't a love story about Georgina and a man (namely a dashing, Matthew-Goode-in-Leap-Year-esque type named Lucas) but a love story about Georgina and herself. The romance is only a piece of the very delicious pie McFarlane has made.

And oh, what a pie it is. McFarlane's writing is charming, witty, and beautiful enough to breathe humor and feeling into even the dullest parts of everyday life. I would happily read her grocery list at this point. And each character, major and minor, leapt off the screen - from Georgina, a more well-adjusted but no less engaging Bridget Jones; to Lucas, who was exactly the sort of wallflower teenage boy I would've lost my head over; to Georgina's gang of truly top-notch friends; to her roommate Karen, who I desperately want to meet against my own better judgment; to Devlin and Esther and the delightfully ditzy Kitty, and everyone in between. All of them hold a dear, eternal place in my heart. Except Robin. Fuck you, Robin.

I hadn't heard of Mhairi McFarlane before this book, but rest assured I have promptly put all of her books at the top of my shopping list, and I'll probably end up clearing my entire calendar so I can whisk through them all like some sort of pale, bookish goblin.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't You Forget About Me.

Finished Reading
July 18, 2019 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
July 18, 2019 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
July 18, 2019 – Shelved
July 18, 2019 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by ITry (new)

ITry Omh i'm here for your coming reviews