Becky's Reviews > Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Aug 01, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction, mystery-and-thrillers, 2009, reviewed, the_south, owned

This book made me realize how much I miss the south. I miss the almost daily afternoon thunderstorms, the humid days and the cool nights, the cicadas and crickets, the ancient trees. I love the fact that a person can get by with just a sweater all winter long.

I really enjoyed the historical references given about Savannah, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite cities. The city and the people in it were described with such clarity that you almost feel as if you know them.

John Berendt's writing style in this book is well-suited for talking about Savannah. It's slow and purposeful, and gives you time to take everything in. The story itself was interesting, but for me, the draw was Savannah. That city isn't just a setting or a background for the story, it's a character itself!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

August 1, 2008 – Shelved
February 17, 2009 – Shelved as: reviewed
February 17, 2009 – Finished Reading
February 23, 2010 – Shelved as: the_south
March 13, 2010 – Shelved as: owned

Allison (The Allure of Books) How are you liking this? I'm very curious about it, I'll probably try to get it from the library soon.