Nicola's Reviews > Under Currents

Under Currents by Nora Roberts
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
13164153
's review

it was ok

1.5 stars.

I don’t really have much positive to say about this. It started strong but as we left part one it soon became a snoozefest and to be blunt, if I wanted to read a book on landscape design and gardening, I’d go help myself to my Dad’s copies of Grow Your Own.

Predictable and with dialogue which was at times clunky, the characters were actually likeable enough and clearly something kept me reading although I think it was more wishful thinking and stubbornness, plus it does have a tight-knit small-town feel but it could have been half the length to little detriment. If I were to recommend a Nora Roberts book though, it would unlikely be this one.

(CW: physical and mental abuse of minors and adults including marital rape. I don’t usually make a point of mentioning and although the blurb does very loosely suggest some violence, the opening part in particular was seriously hard reading—I’m made of fairly sturdy stuff but it was graphic, quite brutal and won’t be for everyone.)
52 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Currents.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

July 10, 2019 – Started Reading
July 12, 2019 – Finished Reading
July 18, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judith (new)

Judith Sorry for the miss darling 💕❤️


message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla Excellent review! Sorry, it was a miss, lovely! xoxo


message 3: by KAS (new)

KAS Oh bummer, Nicola :( Sure hope your next is a five star winner, my friend!! ❤️❤️


message 4: by Shaina (new)

Shaina Oh, yeah—- no way. Not for me either. Thanks for the warnings.


message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Awesomely reviewed Nicola,too bad it wasn't a better read.💋💖😉


message 6: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession I hate when authors fill books with OTT detail filler just make the book shorter lol. Great review Nicola :)


Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog FAB review Lovey! :)
I'm sorry it wasn't a better read for you.
xoxo🌸🌹🌸


Susan Wetzel I feel the same and gave one star. I think some readers are such Nora fans they can't say anything negative. She could and should have done much better. Shame on the editors.


Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ "if wanted to read a book on landscape design and gardening, I’d go help myself to my Dad’s copies of Grow Your Own."

LMAO


Nicola Judith wrote: "Sorry for the miss darling 💕❤️"

Karla wrote: "Excellent review! Sorry, it was a miss, lovely! xoxo"

KAS wrote: "Oh bummer, Nicola :( Sure hope your next is a five star winner, my friend!! ❤️❤️"

Kat wrote: "Awesomely reviewed Nicola,too bad it wasn't a better read.💋💖😉"

Jessica's wrote: "I hate when authors fill books with OTT detail filler just make the book shorter lol. Great review Nicola :)"

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog wrote: "FAB review Lovey! :)
I'm sorry it wasn't a better read for you.
xoxo🌸🌹🌸"


Thanks, ladies 💜


Nicola Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy ⚓️ wrote: ""if wanted to read a book on landscape design and gardening, I’d go help myself to my Dad’s copies of Grow Your Own."

LMAO"


Apparently they’re being bequeathed to me 👍🏻


Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth LMAO! Have fun with those gardening books. Sorry about the dud, babe. Also, grateful for the trigger warning.


Nicola Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth wrote: "LMAO! Have fun with those gardening books. Sorry about the dud, babe. Also, grateful for the trigger warning."

They’re dead useful, solved my white fly problem on my potatoes 😂 and yeah, pity the publisher couldn’t have flagged it a bit more. Was heavy.


message 14: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry this one was quite boring for you, Nicola :( Sure hope your next is a captivating one!! 💚💜❤️


message 15: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Same here... it’s taking me quite some time to finish and the only reason I am is bc of the exuberant price I paid for it. I agree, first part drew you in.. after that? I’m bored to tears... and am I the only one that finds Darby unlikeable and annoying?!


message 16: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Omg same!! I keep wondering if I’m reading a book on landscape design. Annoying. 🤦🏻‍♀️


Nicola KAS wrote: "Sorry this one was quite boring for you, Nicola :( Sure hope your next is a captivating one!! 💚💜❤️"

Thanks, KAS xox


Nicola Nikki wrote: "Same here... it’s taking me quite some time to finish and the only reason I am is bc of the exuberant price I paid for it. I agree, first part drew you in.. after that? I’m bored to tears... and am..."

Heidi wrote: "Omg same!! I keep wondering if I’m reading a book on landscape design. Annoying. 🤦🏻‍♀️"

Good to know I’m not alone! 😊


message 19: by Somia (new) - added it

Somia Hope your next read is less of a let down for you :-)


❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review 🤔Ouch! sorry "L💕ve, onto the next! i hope it is much better.


Karen Loftus Couldn’t have worded it better myself! Too bad too because I really like Nora Roberts


Katie Nicola - I couldn’t agree more. The first few chapters were difficult to read, but without sounding callous - gripping, dramatic and realistic.

Then, suddenly, the whole tone of the book changed, and I found myself sitting through pages upon pages of landscaping described in minute detail. I couldn’t really see how it tied into the whole story - what it a clichéd metaphor about building something beautiful out of ugly and traumatic experiences? Was it that gardening brought peace after all the trauma...? Perhaps, but it could have been accomplished with far less detail about plants. I admit, I actually started skimming through the seemingly endless details just to get it over and done with.

Another point - I would’ve liked to have heard more about Darby’s story. I felt that was skimmed over and should have been a more integral part of the story....certainly more so than her gardening. Maybe Book 2...?


Jackie I’m just skimming along listening but it’s dreadful and I agree predictable.


back to top