Lillian (Inky Insanity)'s Reviews > Master of the Phantom Isle

Master of the Phantom Isle by Brandon Mull

bookshelves: 2019-reads, 5-star, fantasy, middle-grade

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion or the integrity of my review.

Wow. Brandon Mull has done it again. Dragonwatch: Master Of the Phantom Isle is another breakneck adventure for the Sorensen siblings and friends. It picks up right where Dragonwatch: Wrath of the Dragon King ended; Seth without his memories, left to fend for himself among enemies he doesn’t know are enemies, like Ronodin the dark unicorn and the King of the Undead. Meanwhile, Kendra must act as the sole remaining caretaker of Wyrmroost as the dragons plot to destroy her and everyone who helps her, all the while worrying for her kidnapped brother who doesn’t even remember her.

The pacing is wickedly fast. There are no slow moments, just a few places to catch your breath as you watch something even worse approach the characters. Mull does a really good job balancing the pace with giving the characters time to grieve and suffer from their mistakes—and then learn from them.

There’s a lot of points-of-view in here, but I never felt confused. Each character remained distinct. Although I never wanted to leave a character’s chapter because I needed to know what happened next, I also desperately needed to know what had happened to the other characters in the meantime. It kept me glued to the page.

I love so many of the characters in these books. Kendra and Seth are wonderful, of course, but also Newel, Doren, Tanu, Knox, Tess, and Calvin the Tiny Hero. Warren and Vanessa return, as do some old enemies. Kendra makes new friends as she searches for Seth. There are new preserves to explore (carefully) and new creatures to meet (cautiously and politely, lest they kill you), including selkies, merfolk, a triclops, and a large variety of the undead.

Master Of The Phantom Isle is a wonderful installment in this fantastic series, and although the cliffhanger this time isn’t nearly as bad as the one at the end of book two (and am I thankful for that—my heart couldn’t take another one), I still can’t wait for the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of the Phantom Isle.

July 18, 2019 – Shelved