Lisa's Reviews > Daughters of Rome

Daughters of Rome by Kate Quinn

Mar 07, 2012

bookshelves: ancient-rome-fiction, reviewed

My shallow sides strikes again: that cover is so pretty. And it was $6 at the discounted bookshop and had a high GoodReads rating so it seemed like a decent investment, even if ended up being one of those easy-to-read-and-then-judge-heavily books.

Having finished it, I'd say it was a good investment. I'm actually half-ashamed of how long it took me to read it because I did love it.

I can't comment on how historically accurate the novel was, since I really know nothing about Ancient Rome. I did find the storyline and time period interesting – looking through the eyes of four women at the one year in which Rome saw four emperors, and their roles in that. I'm mildly curious about looking at that time period now, so I'll probably skim Wikipedia later.

The four women – two sisters and their cousins, all named Cornelia – are incredibly interesting and diverse. I think there's room for more complex characterisations, but I was delighted by the depth and growth that Quinn gave them.

I'm nitpicking, but I found the dialogue a little bit modern in places which did drag me out of that world sometimes.

All in all, a interesting, quality read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughters of Rome.

March 7, 2012 – Shelved