Sherry's Reviews > Aliens and Ice Cream

Aliens and Ice Cream by Michael                 James

liked it
bookshelves: read-2019

Note: I received a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes from Voracious Readers Only, but all opinions are my own. This book was a fun and easy read. It poses the question "what if you couldn't leave your house? How long could you survive?"

The story begins with a charmingly awkward boy who is trying to woo the girl up the street but at a community BBQ everything takes a sudden dark turn when an alien invasion interrupts the fun. No one knows where they came from or what they want, they only know that anyone outside is killed instantly. The only consensus is that if you go outdoors you will die. Staying inside is the only way to survive. With families separated and a trio of kids trapped in a treehouse, who will make it to the end?

Again, this book was a fun story. It wasn't heavy on the science (or science fiction) of the alien beings and that was fine; I wanted to know what they were too, but I was more interested in the survival of the characters. It also made me get up at one point and look through my food stores to see if I could estimate whether I'd do better or worse than the characters if I suddenly couldn't go out my front door to get groceries. (Hint: I wouldn't starve to death right away but there would be some urgency after a week or so, especially if my entire family of four was home with me.)

I recommend this to anyone who enjoys sci-fi on the screen but finds it too complex to read. This was a good summer read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aliens and Ice Cream.

July 18, 2019 – Started Reading