Lauren's Reviews > Thrill Me to Death

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, second-chances, private-investigator-security

Thrill Me to Death
4.5 Stars

Synopsis
"Mad Max" Roper is known for his stoic and emotionless nature - nothing gets in the way of the job - that is until he is assigned to protect his former fiancée, Cori Peyton. As the recent widow of a multi-billionaire, Cori is either a suspect in the murder of her husband or a potential victim of a vicious killer. Max will have to figure out which while coping with the intense passion and feelings stemming from his close proximity to Cori.

Review
This is one of those rare books that I simply devoured...

Book #1 in the Bullet Catchers series was very entertaining but this one captivated me from the first pages. While reunion romances are not my favorite plot device, this one is well written and resolved satisfactorily.

Max is a fantastic hero - dark, deadly and seductive, and Cori is strong, intelligent and likeable although she does have one or two TSTL moments and a goodie-two-shoes personality that grates on the nerves at times.

Cori and Max have an intense chemistry based on their previous relationship and it only builds and increases toward the inevitable and passionate explosion. The big misunderstanding is played down and there is none of the angst commonly associated with this type of plot.

The suspense story is well-developed with an intriguing pool of suspects. Although my suspicions as to the killer's identity were ultimately confirmed and their are sufficient clues to make an educated guess, it was never 100% clear and the red herrings and false leads add to the tension. The climax is also tense, exciting and satisfying although the explanation for William's death is slightly illogical (view spoiler).

The secondary characters have distinctive personalities from the sycophantic lawyer and his trophy wife to the resentful stepson and the devoted housekeeper. Additional Bullet Catchers are also introduced but not fleshed out as well possibly because they will receive their own books, which I will definitely be reading.

All in all, this book is wonderful and the series is definitely going in the right direction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thrill Me to Death.